Thursday, June 28, 2012

Grilled pizza

I know I should really stop being so lazy (and so scared) and just make my own pizza dough.  It tastes so much better when it's fresh and it's worth the extra time (yes, E & C, this excuse is for your beneift, lol).  BUT, I AM lazy and never remember a day in advance to make the dough; it's always an idea I have after work when I start thinking about what to make for dinner.
With that being said, having grilled pizza one night a week has started to become our weekly habit.  Especially now that we have the grill and it really makes the dough crispy!
I have started shopping at Sweetbay... gasp!  I was not happy about the transition - at first.  I was a die hard Publix shopper and you couldn't convince me that any other store could compare... I felt very superior when shopping at Publix and I was not ready to step down from my soap box.
BUT, times have changed and money is more scarce than ever it seems (aren't you only supposed to be struggling fiinancially in your 20's??  I thought for sure my life would drastically change in my 30's and all of a sudden money would be no object... *sigh* but I digress), so after much poking and prodding, the ole' hubster convinced me to at least give Sweetbay a try.
Long story short, after many trips to Sweetbay, I have grown to appreciate them.  The stores are never busy, they are clean, they have better carts that Publix and honestly, the ease at check out is actually better than Publix!  Which is saying a lot because that's kind of what Publix has going for them - lots of open lines and friendly cashiers and baggers.  And of course above all else, the prices are SO MUCH better!!!  I'm talking like, 1/3rd of the price.  We figured out that on average Publix's groceries are about $3.25-$3.75 per item, where at Sweetbay it is about $2.25 - $2.75.  HUGE savings!!!  I got all of my groceries the other day for $63 and whenever I did that at Publix, I was spending anywhere from $150 - $250!!
Publix did have a few things though that Sweetbay did not - raw pizza dough, fresh pasta, fresh mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.... or so I thought. 
I had already resigned myself to going to Publix for these specific little "treats", until the other day when I found the special spot!!  I don't know how I missed it all of those other times (on second thought - their bargain wines are across the aisle, so maybe that's where my attention was....?), but there it was.  A little cart with all of the above-mentioned items!! 
So Publix, consider this as me sticking it to the "man"... I am happy with the little underdog that is Sweetbay.  :)

Grilled pizza
We had to get creative last night for Justin's pizza because, gasp! (again), we didn't have any pepperoni!  I honestly thought he might just not eat, so great is his love and devotion to pepperoni.  BUT, he was a good sport and we ventured into new ground.

Justin's pizza:
6 green olives - chopped
1 clove of garlic - sliced
1 small tomato - chopped
3 pieces of bacon - crumbled
6 small slices of fresh mozzarella (we got the good stuff from Mazzaro's Italian Market - freshly made on Sat.!)
1/4 cup marinara (we used San Marzano's Arrabiata and it was terrific!)
1/4 of a pizza dough ball
My pizza
1 tomato - chopped
1 clove of garlic - sliced
5 small slices of mozzarella
1/4 cup marinara
1/4 of a pizza dough ball


 



No comments:

Post a Comment