Thursday, February 18, 2010

Crepes

In celebration of "Fat Tuesday", or "Pancake Tuesday", we decided to make crepes ~ one of JD's favorites (very appropriate for my French husband)!

I am about to admit a failure here, so please try to still think kindly of me afterward...
I am a crepe disaster! Not only have I never attempted to make crepe batter myself, but after ruining several crepes, I can confidently say that crepes and I do not work well together.
Thankfully, Mr. Frenchy-French himself not only makes delicious crepe batter, but has that special, gentle touch required when making the delicate little pancakes!
The crepe master himself.....

Our first crepe is a new recipe I found on another blog and it is delicious and incredibly simple!! I thinly sliced one portobello mushroom, minced 1/2 shallot, combined in a saute pan with a combination of evoo and butter, S&P and thyme, then once the shallot is translucent, I added two splashes of brandy and two splashes of cream. Decadence.

Mushrooms and Shallots in a Brandy Cream Sauce

While visiting Barcelona, JD and I stumbled upon the most amazing Creperie (see JD sipping his Spanish wine, in a French restaurant... in Spain.)

I found their menu online and thus inspired our next crepe - Honey and goat's cheese.
It's truly as simple as that - just make the crepes, add goat's cheese and honey and voila! It is the perfect combination of sweet and savory... think chocolate covered pretzels. Amazing!

The crepe batter recipe we use: *Note: JD says that you may add herbs to the batter; the "perfect" batter portion is 3/4 of a 1/3 measuring cup; and it's best to add the fillings once you flip the crepe on the second side instead of trying to reheat them on a pan later with fillings because they can get greasy.







1 comment:

  1. LOL, Love the action shots on this post! Looks like a lot of fun and very yummy!!! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete