Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall treats

Song of the day:  Gavin Rossdale, Love Remains the Same

Moment of Beauty:

In the latest Food Network magazine, there is a yummy fall recipe for Mulled Apple Cider Cocktails.  In the spirit of forcing fall into my life since the weather is not cooperating (my car said 100 degrees today when I went home on my lunch break... *sigh*), I decided to try them.
They are delicious!!  Definitely a must-do recipe!!  I will be adding these to my fall menu!

The only downpart to this recipe is the price of cinnamon sticks and cloves.  Thankfully the jar of cloves contains so many that I doubt I'll ever use them all before they expire.  Unfortunately though, the $6.99 jar of cinnamon sticks only contain 8, I think and this recipe calls for 3.  Honestly though, it's so worth it!!  One little twist to the recipe is an addition of a splash of dark rum.  We happened to have some lying around (stay tuned for a future post...) and wow!  It took this cocktail to a new level of deliciousness!

Per JD's request, I made a second batch of apple butter, only this time I followed the recipe by choosing different kinds of apples (I think I chose 5 different kinds?).  This batch was so much sweeter that I didn't add any sugar, just a dash of cinnamon and it's perfect!  My dearest sister-in-law, D, received a jar of the first batch and loved it so much that she will be receiving a second jar as a hostess gift Sat. night!  :)

Best part of this cocktail?  Makes your house smell amazing!!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment