Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chimichurri

Chimichurri

After getting back some really unhealthy blood tests about 18 months ago, I decided to start eating meat again.  I was eating all kinds of meat for a while, but then decided to cut out all red meat.  I eat chicken and pork now, but try to limit that and mostly only eat fish. 
With that being said, I'm still learning my way around the kitchen with fish... I'm not sure what kinds I really like and of those kinds, how to make them in a variety of different ways. 
So far I've found that I like salmon (I make it with bbq sauce and also maple-glazed), tilapia (Picatta) and most recently grouper (chimichurri). 
The first time I made grouper, I really did not like it.  It was so meaty and thick... it was like eating a mild-tasting steak.  Yuck! 
However, I had already spent all this money on a grouper that I portioned out and froze, so I was stuck making it. 
My sister-in-law gave me a great idea - make a chimichurri sauce for the grouper and marinate it to break down some of the tissue. 
Turned out fabulously!!  So good in fact that I made it also with chicken for my in-laws and we enjoyed it in fajitas!

Chimichurri
2 tbls fresh mint - minced
2 tbls fresh flat-leaf parsley - minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro - minced
2 tbls fresh oregano - minced
3-4 cloves of garlic - minced
1/2 cup evoo
2 tbls red wine (or white wine) vinegar
spinkle of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and use as a sauce, or a marinade with grouper chunks or chicken pieces.  After marinading, dump all (meat and sauce) into a saute pan and cook until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment