Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Vegan Paella

Tuesday started off with a vegan start of oatmeal with blueberries (I'd like to say that I made it, but the folks at my local McDonald's made this little treat.... don't judge me - it was delicious!).  When lunch time came around (or 10:45am... it was a long morning), I had leftover Tijuana Flats - a norrito bowl of rice, two kinds of beans and salsa.  I realized yesterday afternoon that I had a good start and I should make Tuesday my vegan day #1.
I whipped out my trusty vegetarian cookbook and decided that I would make whatever I could find where I had all the ingredients already.  Vegetarian (or in my case - vegan) Paella!

Vegan Paella

1 onion - chopped
1/2 head of broccoli - chopped
1/2 head of cauliflower - chopped
1 red pepper - sliced
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 zucchini - sliced
3 ribs celery - chopped
4 scallions - chopped
1 box of vegetable broth/stock
2 1/2 cups wild rice/brown rice
14 oz. white beans (either canned or already cooked)
pinch of saffron
2 tbls mixed herbs - minced
8 oz. cherry tomatoes - halved
salt and pepper

Add all of the veggies, except for the herbs and tomatoes into a large pot with a couple tablespoons of evoo. 


Saute for a few minutes and then add the vegetable broth and rice.  Mix well and bring to a boil.  Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low to simmer.  Simmer for about 45 minutes.

* At this point, I must interject with a change to the recipe.  I would not add the vegetables before the rice and broth.  Because the wild rice takes so long to cook, by the time it was ready, the veggies were all soft and mushy.  If I used a long grain brown rice, it might have been different and not taken as long to cook, but I think no matter what, I would wait until the rice was halfway done before adding any of the vegetables. 

Once the rice is tender, add the herbs and tomatoes and stir to combine.  Serve hot!
 
 The dish was very flavorful and I have a ton of leftovers now that I will freeze.  The only disappointment was the vegetables being so mushy.... lesson learned.

Here's to your (better) success!

Btw, my vegan day #1 ended on a, well, not vegan end.  Curse Baskin Robbins (that just opened by my house!) and their Jamocha Fudge icecream.... try, try again.

1 comment: