Thursday, May 17, 2012

TVP and Black Bean burgers with Zucchini Fries

My vegan day #2 started out so well.... I had an english muffin with spray butter for breakfast and a Norrito bowl from Tijuana Flats (rice and beans - no cheese!) for lunch.  Then I went home to make dinner...
Over the weekend we went to our best friends' house for dinner and she made zucchini fries.  The hubbie loved them, which I was pleasantly surprised by because they are so healthy!  So of course, I couldn't wait to make them. 
Whilst getting my ingredients ready for supper, the hubster, who never comes into the kitchen mind you, to "oversee" the process.  Once he found out that I was planning on adjusting the recipe to be vegan, he was not having it.  I believe he said "great, so I have to eat food that tastes like crap".  Not a very confidence-boosting thought.  So I said "forget it" and whipped out the cheese!  And boy, does cheese taste good after abstaining from it (albeit only for one day)!
a little wine and cheese for an app....

Zucchini Fries (recipe courtesy of the Dr. Oz show)




TVP and Black Bean burger:

Monday night's leftovers from the fajitas I made turned into vegetarian black bean burgers:

3/4 cup black beans (cooked)
1/2 cup TVP (re-hydrated)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 small onion - diced
1 garlic clove - minced
1/4 cup button mushrooms - sliced
salt, pepper and thyme to taste

Saute the onion and the garlic for 2 minutes until onions are translucent, then add the sliced mushrooms.  Cook until all the liquid has been cooked out of the mushrooms, about 3 - 5 minutes. 

Add all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth, but a little chunky.

Form into patties and grill in saute pan until brown on both sides.
Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment