Friday, May 11, 2012

Let them eat cake!

Today my best friend turns 31.... very hard to believe!  I remember her Sweet 16 birthday and now look at us!  Time definitely flies when you're having fun!  And I'm very happy to know that the majority of our 18 year friendship has been just that - FUN!  There have definitely been some rocky points, issues we had to overcome and our own personal dramas that we have helped each other through.  There have been times when we cried and leaned on each other for support, but mostly there have been times full of laughter, love and comraderie. 
In honor of Michelle's birthday, I made her a cake.  I've never made a cake (with the frosting!) from scratch before and I have to say, it was surprisingly easy.  Not only were there limited ingredients which was nice, but the methods were super simple.  Having a stand mixer definitely helped though, especially when beating the sugar and eggs together.
I can't take credit for the recipe however.  I found this cake recipe on tastespotting.com (one of my all time favorite websites!).  See below:
http://www.food52.com/recipes/6857_grownup_birthday_cake

Making the frosting...

The cakes cooling...

Raspberry jam in the middle...

The finished product! 

Happy Birthday, Michelle!!


No comments:

Post a Comment