Monday, September 17, 2012

Butternut squash lentil risotto

It may still be 90 degrees outside, but in my mind, it's fall!  (and after decorating my office and my home, I can pretend that these fake leaf garlands are real and that the a/c I feel is really the dipping fall temperature)

With fall in mind, I was craving butternut squash.  While I realize that I can purchase butternut squash all year round, I always refrain and wait until fall to then gorge myself on this delictable treat!

I'm trying to make smarter decisions when it comes to my diet, so I knew that I needed a protein source as well.  Enter my favorite bean - the lentil! 

I boiled about 3 cups of water with 1/2 cup of lentils for 20 minutes and then drained.  (side note: I used way too many lentils - I think 1/4 cup would be more than enough)
I sauteed an onion and a clove of garlic minced with a small sprinkling of dried thyme in a tablespoon of evoo and butter.  I then added the lentils and 1 cup of arborio rice.  After coating all of the contents with the oil/butter, I added 1/2 cup of pinot grigio.  After the wine was absorbed, I started adding vegetable stock in slowly, about 3/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each new liquid introduction was absorbed.

While this was happening, I cut the butternut squash in half, scooped out the insides and rubbed with evoo, s&p and roasted at 400 degrees for about 30 min.

Once the squash was cooled, I scooped out the insides and added it to the risotto once the rice/lentils were cooked through.  I then added another tablespoon of butter and about 1/2 cup of shredded asiago cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment