Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Thai Noodle and Green Bean Salad

JD has been on my case about eating more salads... I just have never been much of a salad-lover.  I know, I know, I'm a vegetarian, how could I possibly not want to eat salad??  I really think it's because I like my food to be warm... and ofcourse my need for carbs is usually part of the issue too....
Last night I decided to try a new salad, if for no other reason than to prove to JD that I too can eat salad.
Side note: this salad doesn't exactly have leafy greens in it... instead it has noodles.  Hey, at least the recipe calls it a salad!!)

From one of my favorite cookbooks: Simple Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin

Thai Noodle and Green Bean Salad

1 pound spaghetti

Marinade
3 tbls peanut or canola oil
3 tbls oriental sesame oil
3 tbls lime juice
3 tbls tamari soy sauce
2 tbls brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsps minced gingerroot
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt

1 pound green beans, cut in half
3 scallions, very thinly sliced
2 bls finely shredded fresh basil
2 tbls finely chopped fresh mint
1 tbls finely chopped cilantro

1. Boil the green beans for 5 minutes and then submerge in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
2.  In the same pot, boil the noodles until al dente
(to make my life easier, I changed this part of the recipe... I just dumped the marinade ingredients in the same bowl as the veggies)
3.  Make the marinade and then add the herbs, scallions and green beans to the bowl. 
4.  When the noodles were ready, I put them in the same bowl as the marinade and then served. 
The recipe says to let the noodles cool and then mix with the marinade and chill for 2 hours.
Since I like warm food, I served the noodle salad at room temperature and it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment