Thursday, September 13, 2012

Goodbye Summer!

Goodbye Summer and welcome FALL!!!  It still may be 90 degrees outside (okay, according to my weather app - yes, I have a desktop weather app that I regularly check; I am that dorky - it's 89 degrees to be fair...), but in my eyes, September 1st started fall for me!!
We welcomed fall this year by taking a little jaunt up to my sisters' cabin in Young Harris, GA over Labor Day weekend.  What a FUN trip!!
We did everything I LOOOVE - two visits to two wineries, cooking all day, way into the evening (11:30pm risotto anyone?), drinking wine, exploring and spending time with three of my most favorite people in the whole world!!
Here's a re-cap:
Yonah Mountain Winery - Crush Festival
After 8 hours of driving..... we experienced lots of sunshine, 6 wine tastings, focaccia bread and fun arts and crafts to look at. 

The cabin!  Wine at sunset over the mountains....

Chewy!!
We found a friend in the mountains!  Our neighbor has, what we think, an outside dog.  Unfortunately we felt like he wasn't getting enough attention, because he was always at our cabin hanging out on the porch and expectantly waiting for any scrap of love we could send his way.
Let's just say that in 2 days, with 4 dog-loving persons around, Chewy received lots of ear scratchs and hugs!
I named him "Chewy" for Chewbaca because we think he must be teething due to his habit of chewing on everything in sight... including my hands, fingers, feet and arms.  Yes, yes, I know I let him.  Everyone else tried to discipline him in two days and I let him run all over me and lick my face and put clay paw prints on practically everything in my suitcase.  (and sneak him a piece of cookie, shhh)
Totally worth it.


We visited the John C. Campbell Folk School and explored the grounds.  What a COOL place!!  It's expensive, but we all agreed we have to come back and take a class one of these days.  E wants to take a chair-making class, JD is thinking blacksmithing, not sure about R - I don't think she could decide, there are so many, and I want to take a cooking class (shocker).

Crane Creek wine tasting
We visited our absolute favorite winery - Crane Creek - that just happens to be about 10 minutes from the cabin.  A wine tasting, shared bottle of Traminette, pesto gouda and olive oil crackers, I was HAPPY!! 

One really cool story that I will make as brief as possible:
My grandparent's used to own a cabin in Clayton, GA (about 30 min. from Young Harris - coincidence?  I think not) for more than 20 years.  My sister and I spent every summer, some spring breaks and Christmas breaks up there for about 10 of those years.  Let's just say that if you drop me or my sister anywhere on that mountain, we can take you to the cabin site with our eyes closed.
In 2002 they sold the cabin and in 2005 my grandpa passed away.  I have yet to experience another loss that has affected me as much as losing him has... and I hope I never have to (wishful thinking). 
The last time we were at the cabin, I was too emotional to drive by where the cabin is, but this time, I was ready.
Everything looks so different... this once quiet, sleepy little town now boasts mansions, golf courses, a Walmart, etc., etc. 
We were leaving when E points out an address sign that was nailed into a nearby tree.  I have no idea how she saw this... truly I think an angel pointed it out.  The "sign" was an old license plate that had stuck numbers to the back to make an address marker.  It was from Manatee county, FL 1997. 
Yup, I lost it. 
It's amazing that after all this time, there is still a piece of us there.... I know I left a piece of my heart, my life, my past and myself there in 2002 when I said "goodbye", and it was like seeing that in physical form. 

Over the last few years, happiness has been elusive.  I spent most of my time just trying to make it through one OCD moment to the next.  The calm periods have grown... instead of getting lost in self-hatred and fear every 10 minutes (literally), it has now grown into hours and days.  I'm still on shaky ground and am afraid of jinxing myself, but I'm gaining ground.
This trip to GA was exactly what the doctor ordered!!  I laughed more than I have in a long time and had actual moments of pure joy.  JD kept looking at me saying "you're happy, aren't you?" and I honestly answered "yes!".  :*)







No comments:

Post a Comment