Monday, September 24, 2012

One failure, one success....

Last night I thought I would be all creative and come up with a new recipe all my own.  We bought these little peppers at the grocery store and I usually stuff them with cream cheese, but was looking for a different filling.
We had three beautiful avocados, so I thought "why not stuff the peppers with guacamole?".  Everything was going so well... it was so easy to stuff them, unlike the cream cheese, and they blistered beautifully in the foil pack on the grill.
Bomb....... they tasted so weird!!  I thought that the pepper "juices" would marry with the guacamole and make it spicier, but all it did was just make it taste chalky and well, just not good.  :(
FAILURE.
All was not lost though... I made a recipe out of one of my vegetarian cookbooks: Polenta with garlic and broccoli.  YUM!!

Note: Have everything ready to go, ie. your mis en place, before you start cooking.  The recipe warned me of this, but I didn't believe it and well, let's just say burnt garlic doesn't taste very good.  :(

Polenta with Broccoli and Garlic
Boil 4 cups of vegetable stock and slowly add 1 1/4 cups of polenta in slowly.  It starts to pop almost immediately, so I put the lid on for a few minutes while it thickens.  Add 2 tbls of butter and 1/4 cup of parmesan and mix until smooth and thick.
Saute 6 cloves of garlic in 2 tbls of evoo for 1 minute.  Add 1 head of broccoli, cut into tiny florets and mix.  Add 1/3 cup of water and cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Toss in 3 tomatoes that have been seeded and chopped into a small dice.  Add s&p to taste.

No song of the day today....
My moment of beauty was seeing my grandmother, who was admitted into the hospital Saturday night, wearing lipstick and a smile sitting in her hospital bed.  She has a bad infection in her foot, but aside from that, she is healthy and in good spirits!  Thank God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment